HOW TO CHOOSE A HYDROPONIC, AQUAPONIC, ALGAPONIC, AQUARIUM, POND OR FOUNTAIN PUMP
• “Maximum Flow Rate” is meaningless because it is at ZERO head.
• “Maximum Head/Lift” is meaningless because the flow at that height is only a trickle.
You need an affordable quality pump with the desired flow at your required head and lowest wattage.
Step 1: Determining Desired Flow Rate
Most ponics systems flow through a single loop allowing a single pump. A flow rate near 100 GPH is sufficient for grow beds loop up to 120 feet. If you have multiple grow-bed loops, then 100 GPH is needed for each loop. Flood/drain beds needs 2 to 4 cycles per hour.
Step 2: Calculating System Head
Measure the vertical distance from the “top” of the water in the pump tank to the pump discharge pipe. A typical requirement is 100 GPH @ 3 feet.
Step 3: Pump Selection Considerations
• Continuous vs. intermittent pump duty cycle increases pump life, plus no need for a timer or level control.<br
• Low cost (<$60) pumps in the 6 to 60 watt pump range are typically submersible.
• A rule of thumb is that an average pump will last 2-4 times the stated warranty period.
• Best to buy a backup.
Step 4: Is A Foam Filter Needed?
The objective of a filter is to keep objects/grit out of the pump.
• While great for ponds, a foam filter in “ponics” systems is a maintenance headache as good place for algae to grow.
• If you endeavor to have clear water… you will likely need a separate pre-filter, so a foam filter is redundant.
• Green water algaponics systems require a vortex pre-filter; a foam filter would only clog with desirable algae.
• Micro-algae will not hurt a pump unless it stops water flow.
COMPLETE SELECTION: We have 7 sizes & 13 models. Click on “PonicsFarm” near the top of the page to see them all. This model has a high quality 5 foot waterproof cord. Comes with adjustable input flow-rate screen and 2 outlet adaptors for 1/4″ & 1/2″ inside diameter tubing.
DURABLE QUALITY: Our Polished Aluminum Oxide Ceramic Impeller Shaft insures long pump life because it is non-corrodible and more than 3 times as hard as stainless steel. Epoxy Resin Encasement of key internal motor components prevents unwanted conductivity and corrosion of metal parts. This pump incorporates a magnetic wet-rotor design, so there is no seal to fail that would damage the pump motor.
EFFICIENT: Neodymium Iron Boron (NdFeB) Magnets are used in all our electric motors because they are the most powerful permanent magnetic materials commercially available and increase energy efficiency. Water-Lubricated Nitrile Bushings are used because they possess a very low coefficient of friction, have inherent vibration-dampening qualities and are non-polluting.
SAFE & EASY: Safe for fish with no exposed copper and oil free. Easy to clean with no tools required to disassemble and clean filter/impeller. Our SJTW Electric Cord is waterproof, 18# gauge copper wire, molded plug with ground, heavy duty flexible vinyl jacket, resists oil/grease/moisture, abrasion resistant and very good flexibility at all temperatures.
SPECIFICATIONS: Salt or fresh water ready with flow Rates of 211 Gallons Per Hour (GPH) @ 0′ Lift; 192 GPH @ 1′ Lift; 167 GPH @ 2′ Lift; 139 GPH @ 3′ Lift; 86 GPH @ 4′ Lift; Max Lift – 4′ 3″. Dimensions are 2.89″ x 2.05″ x 2.46″. 120VAC – 12 WATTS – 60Hz. 1 year limited warranty when sold by PonicsFarms.
Frequently Bought Together
This item: PP21105 : 211 GPH, Submersible, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, Aquarium Pump - 12W$16.99